Walkers Best Practices
Walkers are students who live within two (2) miles of their area school attendance boundaries. The following best practices have been developed by parents in the Racine area for walkers:
- Parents should walk with student prior to school start to establish safest route.
- This can be done before work, after work or on the weekends.
- Multiple trips should be made with the student.
- A map should be created of the proper path the parent prefers and should be with the student.
- During the walk the parent should reaffirm their safety instructions, where to cross streets and what to look for.
- These directions may need to be altered or updated throughout the school year.
- Sometimes the shortest path is not the safest.
- Cross at signal lights or controlled intersections.
- Cross where crossing guards are located. Crossing guard locations are determined by the local police.
- Use the buddy system when walking to and from school.
Please share these recommendations. If you have additional tips, please let us know and we would be happy to add them to the list.