You are here

Family & Community Services

Employees with careers in family and community services help the homeless, housebound, and infirm cope with circumstances of daily living; counsel troubled and emotionally disturbed individuals; train or retrain the unemployed or underemployed; care for the elderly and the physically and mentally disabled; help the needy obtain financial assistance; and solicit contributions for various social service organizations.

Courses in family and community services will help prepare students who may be interested in careers such as: 

  • Adult Day Care Coordinator/Worker
  • Career Counselor
  • Child Life Educator/Specialist
  • Community Housing Service Worker
  • Community Service Director
  • Coordinator of Volunteers
  • Dietician
  • Director Religious Activities
  • Education Programs
  • Emergency and Relief Worker
  • Employment Counselor
  • Geriatric Services Worker
  • Human Services Worker
  • Leisure Activities Coordinator
  • Licensed Professional Counselor
  • Marriage and Family Counselor
  • Religious Leader
  • Residential Advisor
  • Social and Human Services Assistant
  • Social Services Worker
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor

Education Requirements

Occupations requiring specific clinical training also require appropriate state licensure or certification.

Many employers prefer social and human service assistants with some related work experience or college courses in human services, social work or one of the social or behavioral sciences, while others prefer an associate degree in human services or social work.

Formal education, usually a bachelor’s or master’s degree in counseling, human services, rehabilitation, social work, family and consumer sciences or related field is necessary for social and human service assistant to advance in their careers.

Information provided by: