Dances are a fun memory in a high school student's life. A lot of work goes into preparing dances for students to have the best time possible. To ensure that everyone has a good time at a dance, rules have been established to ensure everyone's safety and enjoyment. The following RUSD rules can be found in the Student Code of Conduct handbook under Student Dance Policies.
Dance Policies for All RUSD High Schools
It is understood that student dances are a privilege and not a right. To that end, these policies have been put into effect for the appropriate enjoyment for all attendees. Violation of rules requiring student removal from the dance will be done without a refund. Any behavior demonstrated at a dance that leads to a school suspension will result in being banned from further participation from dances for the school year.
I. All School Dances
- Middle school students and anyone over the age of 20 are not permitted to attend.
- Inappropriate and/or sexually explicit dancing is not permitted and may result in dismissal from the dance. If an administrator and/or chaperone deems it inappropriate and/or indecent, it will not be permitted.
- All attendees must have a photo ID to enter.
- Appropriate dress is required. Appropriate dress is defined by this Code of Rights and Responsibilities in the section titled Dress Code Policy. Appropriate dress for school dances may also include independent school level expectations, i.e.: no jeans or street shoes.
- Guest attendance is up to the discretion of the guest’s current school administration or that of the last school attended. The appropriate approval form must be completed and on file in order for a guest to attend.
- Each High School may enforce additional rules for dance attendance, but the following minimum rules and requirements are in effect for the four weeks leading up to the day before the dance for all students.
- a. No school suspensions of any kind.
- b. No truancies, as defined in the Glossary.
- c. No more than 3 hall sweeps and/or tardies for all periods.
- d. All fines and fees must be paid.
- No personal checks allowed for ticket purchase. Cash or Money Order only.
If the student is free from listed violations, he/she may obtain a dance permit from his/her academy. Dance permits are required in order to purchase a ticket.
II. Additional Policies for Prom
- Must have at least 18 credits upon acquisition of the dance permit or administrator confirmation that they are on track to graduate with their co-horts.
- The following rules and requirements are in effect throughout the entire school year:
- a. No more than 3 suspensions and no expulsions during the current school year
- b. No more than ten (10) periods of truancy
- c. No more than ten (10) tardies
- d. All fines and fees must be paid. If the student is free from listed violations, he/she may obtain a dance permit from his/her academy. Dance permits are required in order to purchase a ticket.
- All RUSD students are required to follow the same rules for student attendees as listed above.
- No student who has dropped out of school may attend.
- Credit Requirement upon acquisition of the dance permit:
- a. Juniors must have a minimum of 12 credits.
- b. Sophomores must have a minimum of 7 credits.
- c. Freshman must have a minimum of 3 credits.